October 2011 Issue

Does Your Cat Need a Specialist?

Certain feline behavioral problems may require the help of an expert. Here’s what you should know.

Litter box aversion. Aggression. Inappropriate scratching or destructive behavior. Eating or chewing non-food materials. Cat carrier avoidance. Separation anxiety. Other fears and phobias that make you and your cat unhappy. When your cat develops a behavior problem, you may need professional advice. But whom should you call? Your veterinarian should be first on the list to rule out any medical problems. But after your cat’s clean bill of health, your veterinarian may suggest the help of a certified applied animal behaviorist or a board-certified veterinary behaviorist. While either one can help you solve your cat’s adjustment difficulty, there are some differences in the services each provides.

To continue reading this entire article you must be a paid subscriber.

Subscribe to CatWatch Newsletter

Which foods are really safe for your cat? How can you painlessly end furniture scratching---for good? What is your cat telling you when she refuses to eat? Get the answers to these questions- and many more- when you subscribe now to CatWatch!

Already subscribe but haven't registered for all the benefits of the website? Click here.

Subscriber Log In

Forgot your password? Click Here.