1. Cats are obligate carnivores. They need meat protein in their diet. Vegetarian diets are not safe for cats.
2. Arginine is an amino acid. Cats naturally lack the enzyme to create the arginine so they need to have it in their diet. Meat is an excellent source.
3. A lack of dietary taurine can lead to vision and heart conditions. Cat foods are supplemented with taurine to provide necessary levels for healthy cats.
4. Cats need vitamin A and the animal form of vitamin D (D3) in their diet as they are not capable of efficiently producing enough of these important vitamins on their own. Cats also require niacin, or vitamin B3, in their diet to have adequate amounts for good health.
5. Dog food lacks essential nutrients for cats. Do not feed your cat dog food or she will develop some serious and potentially life-threatening deficiencies.